Sunday, March 13, 2011

Daylight Savings Time

I'm not a morning person these days by any stretch of the imagination, but on the morning of Daylight Savings Time when we "spring ahead," I'm particuarly grouchy. I like waking up with the sun, not before it.
The real problem is that I don't usually sleep well the night we actually change the clocks. It's not so bad in the fall because I know if the alarm on my phone decides to commit mutiny and not work, I have an hour to fool around with. In the springtime, however, if my alarm doesn't go off, I could be in trouble because then I'm running an hour late. Thus, the night we change the clocks I worry about my phone not changing like it's supposed to, and then I don't get up on time, and then I'm late for church, and I'm the pastor so you can see how that would be a problem.
(remember my post about worrying? This is what I mean by taking my own advice)
So I don't sleep well the night we change the clocks. The result this morning was I ended up waking up about ten minutes before my alarm actually was scheduled to go off, and I was delighted to look over and see that my phone had actually changed over (it always does, like a good phone). I laid in bed, in the dark, wishing I had that extra hour and pining for the fall when we get to "fall back" and gain an hour of sleep.
And then I heard something. Something I haven't really heard in a while. In the stillness of the dark, early morning, I heard birds outside my window, singing.
Praise God for the birds. It was the birds this morning that made me find the silver lining in my Daylight Savings Time cloud. DST means spring is coming. DST means we're almost done with being nervous about whether or not we'll have another blizzard before the summer. The flowers are about to (and some already are) showing their sprouts and pretty soon some green will find its way back onto the barren trees. The yearly resurrection of everything that vanished in October, from birds to the bees to the flowers, is slowly making its way back to our world. Suddenly DST becomes a beautiful thing.
That doesn't mean I'm any more awake now than I was an hour ago when I got up, but I'm thankful for the birds that were singing outside my window. It reminded me that God is good and despite getting up before the sun, God is there even in the wee hours of the morning.

Yours in Christ,
Pastor Becki

3 comments:

  1. Listening to the birds is listening to God's orchestra play:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words and sentiments. I'm so pleased to see you using your writing talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tara: Most definitely :-)
    @Jill: Thank you :) I'm trying to break back into my fiction mode, but I must confess my inspiration has been minimal lately. I think I'll try a new sermon style next week...

    ReplyDelete