Sunday, May 22, 2011

IDK

IDK is blogspeak for "I don't know."
I don't know.
You don't know.
Neither pastors nor laypersons know.
No one knows. And here's why:

"Keep awake, therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour." (Matthew 25:13)

As a pastor (and a Christian) I've been getting a lot of questions lately regarding "Doomsday." It's interesting. When I was driving back from New Jersey to Illinois, I saw a bunch of billboards proclaiming May 21st to be the end of the world. Or at least the rapture. The real "end of the world" is in October after we've had five months of weeping and gnashing of teeth. Some people really bought into this to the point where they were emptying out bank accounts and either a) giving all their money away or b) spending all their money on lavish vacations because why not? The world is going to end soon. And May 22 rolled around. Low and behold, those people are still here. The tremendous earth quakes did not swallow us whole (although a volcano did erupt in Iceland).

But here we are on May 22 and we're still here. Sure, people left piles of clothes on their lawns as a way to make fun of those who really believed the world was going to come to an end yesterday. There's a part of me that wonders if all the people who really bought into it yesterday realized they were still here and decided that meant they were not chosen. Now we all have to suffer together. Is this damaging to faith? What if you really bought into doomsday on 5/21/11? Do you stop believing in God because no one came to gather up the believers?

I certainly hope not, and my heart goes out to the group that bought into this because I can't even imagine what's going through their heads right now.

And we will be having this same conversation a year from now when we start getting closer to December 2012.

So people have been turning to me and asking me what I think about the whole thing. Do I believe in the rapture? Absolutely. Scripture tells us that Jesus will come and gather up His believers. Our bridegroom will arrive, but here's the kicker: We don't know the day or the time.

Jesus says keep awake! because you don't know when He's coming. The rapture could happen tomorrow. It could happen three minutes from now. It could happen three centuries or three milenia from now. We just don't know. We can't calculate. People try to calculate it, and they take great leaps and bounds to make their equations give them an exact date and time. But Jesus tells us not to worry about what comes next because whatever happens, God is going to take care of us. God knows the day and the time and that's all we need to know. Anything else we claim to know is just our way of playing God which is what got us kicked out of Eden in the first place.

Keep awake. I'm all for evangelism telling people to believe that Christ saved them and recognize how Christ is active in their lives and hearts. But to tell people that there is a deadline is just foolishness. Of course there's a deadline, but we will never never never be able to predict for sure when that is.

So what do I think about this whole thing? I think we put much stock in equations. We want to know what happens, want to know when, want to know when our bodily expiration dates happen to be. You know something, though? I don't want to know. I just hope that if I'm still alive when the end of the world gets here, I'm not alone. I want to be with someone I love. And hopefully when that end comes, I'm not left behind.

Hopefully you aren't either. But don't get caught up in a whirlwind of propoganda from people claiming to have all the answers because they are just as subject to God's ambiguity as the rest of us. I worry about enough things on a daily basis; I'll leave the worrying about the end of the world to God. That's his department and one less thing I have to be responsible for.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this, Becki. I, too, thought about all the people who made drastic preparations and then woke this morning to find themselves still here. Their sadness overwhelms me. I know that I struggle with thinking I can control my life, and I see our desire to chart events on a calendar as part of that.

    ReplyDelete