Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Praying for Each Other

I have to say, I'm rather embarassed to note that the last time I posted on this blog was in November. I really do have the best of intentions to update this reguarly. Life, as you might have guessed, happens and the Advent season is especially crazy for pastors.

We did something new this year for Advent that I wanted to share with you because it really went over much better than I thought it would. I've heard of "Stations of the Cross" as a spiritual journey we undertake during the Lent season and I was looking for something comparable for Advent. I really wasn't finding what I was looking for, so I decided to make something up and I entitled it "Stations of the Manger." Each classroom downstairs had a different station. Each station had a scripture passage, a devotion, and a prayer practice. Each person went through the stations as individuals instead of as groups. I put up a sign by the door that said, 'Quiet please, prayer in progress' and encouraged people to go through each station at their own pace. Most people took about an hour to get through all five stations. What was really interesting for me was that I didn't see anything actually happening. I stayed up by the front door at a table handing out instructions and maps outlining where each station was and the whole event kind of ran itself. The only way I knew what was actually going on downstairs was the feedback I received from people after the event. Most people were grateful to have something the week before Christmas that actually forced them to slow down, take a deep breath, and encounter Christ in Advent. I even had to make more photocopies of things, something I've never had to do before. The "Stations of the Manger" was truly a testiment to what a powerful experience engaging in prayer can be for people.

Among the changes to the Presbyterian Book of Order is change to the ordination/installation vows. The eighth question for those being ordained or installed as ruling elders, deacons, teaching elders, or certified Christian educators is this: "Will you pray for and seek to serve the people with energy, intelligence, imagination and love?" (bold print notes the new language). There is something profound, I think, about our leaders taking a vow to pray for the people they serve. We are asking the congregation to trust the decisions this group of people make. It makes sense to hope that they are not making decisions in a vaccuum; it makes sense to hope that decision makers in the church are making decisions based on the direction they hear God calling us as a congregation, not just making decisions based on their own agendas (which does, unfortunately, happen occassionally in church politics). Reminding our leaders to be praying for the people they serve reminds us as a congregation that church politics is not just about the politics; it's also about people serving, encouraging, and praying for other people.

The other side of the coin is that not only should congregations expect their leaders to be praying for them, but leaders should expect their congregations to pray for them, as well. During installation and ordination services, congregations take a vow to agree to "pray for them, to encourage them, to respect their decisions, and to follow as they guide us, serving Jesus Christ, who alone is Head of the Church." As pastor, I hope that my congregation prays for me. Lord knows we pastors need prayer!

This coming Sunday my congregation will be ordaining and installing new officers to the offices of ruling elders (session) and deacons. As we hear the candidates make their vows to pray for us and as we vow that we will pray for them in return, I truly hope we take that vow seriously. As a congregation, we agree to trust each other. Officers trust that congregations will do what they can to make sure our congregation continues to thrive and congregations trust the officers will make decisions that paint a clear picture of God's call for our church.

I deeply encourage you, whether you are an officer of the church, a member (whether a member on roles or a visiting member) of a church, or even someone not connected with the church at all to keep your leaders in your thoughts. I hope this also includes our secular leaders who, Lord knows, also need our prayers. If we keep each other in prayer, I suspect we will quickly feel the evidence of so many hands keeping us uplifted. And if you are praying for someone in particular, I encourage you to tell that person you pray for him or her. Your leaders will appreciate knowing that they are in your prayers and congregations will appreciate knowing that their leaders are keeping them in prayer as well.

Yours in Christ (and keeping you in prayer),
Pastor Becki

No comments:

Post a Comment