Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday Meditation

Delivered by Rev. Rebecca Weltmann, Ash Wednesday 2012                
           
            When I was a little kid, I loved the movie “Wizard of Oz.” I don’t remember this, but my father will tell you that when I was really little, I would make him go outside with me and we would walk around the backyard singing “Follow the Yellow Brick Road” over and over again. A few years ago, I discovered I also love the book series by L. Frank Baum. I want to read you an excerpt from the second book, “The Land of Oz.” To give you just a brief synopsis of what’s going on, the Scarecrow has been ousted from his throne in a political revolt – well, as political as it can be in the Land of Oz – and he, along with others are being kept prisoner in the castle. He sits and thinks, using those brains that the wizard gave him and he remembers that the wizard escaped Oz in a hot air balloon, so they decide what they have to do is create something that will carry them out of the castle by flight. They have this powder of life that will allow whatever they create to carry them. So, here is an excerpt from “The Land of Oz.”
            “Then let us search through the palace,” continued the Tin Woodman, “and carry all the material we can find to the roof, where I will begin my work.”
            “First, however,” said the Pumpkinhead, “I beg you will release me from this horse, and make me another leg to walk with. For in my present condition I am of no use to myself or to anyone else.”
            So the Tin Woodman knocked a mahogany centre-table to pieces with his axe and fitted one of the legs, which was beautifully carved, on to the body of Jack Pumpkinhead, who was very proud of the acquisition.
            “It seems strange,” said he, as he watched the Tin Woodman work, “that my left leg should be the most elegant and substantial part of me.”
            “That proves that you are unusual,” returned the Scarecrow, “and I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed.”
            “Spoken like a philosopher!” cried the Woggle-Bug as he assisted the Tin Woodman to set Jack upon his feet.
            “How do you feel now?” asked Tim, watching the Pumpkinhead stump around to try his new leg.
            “As good as new,” answered Jack joyfully, “and quite ready to assist you all to escape.”
            “Then let us get to work,” said the Scarecrow in a business-like tone.
            So, glad to be doing anything that might lead to the end of their captivity, the friends separated to wander over the palace in search of fitting material to use in the construction of their aerial machine.[1]

            I love that line, “I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones.” The Scarecrow was always by far my most favorite character in the Oz series. But growing up, I was always sort of different from the other kids my age, so with that in my background I appreciate the kudos for the unusual people. As human beings, we are a little bit like Jack Pumpkinhead, woven together in what might seem like an arbitrary fashion. But piece by piece we are put together. Sometimes, like the Pumpkinhead, our parts wear out and we need replacements, and sometimes there are parts of us that look a little more fashionable than other parts. But all of those things combined are the things that make us what we are. Unusual is one word for it. Fearfully and wonderfully made is another.
            Ash Wednesday is the beginning of the season of Lent. Whether we are anointed with ashes from the palms of last year or healing oil, it’s a season when we remember that we are all sinners and in need of God’s grace. It’s a day when many Christians focus their attention on fasting, praying, and almsgiving. In Lent we realize how totally dependent we as human beings are on the love of our Lord Jesus Christ.
            But how unusual that love is! How unusual is grace that God wants to be in relationship with us, a messy, less than perfect species. Traditionally Ash Wednesday is a day of mourning for our sin and the sin of all humanity before God, but I think we also need to take time to celebrate the fact that despite all those things that make us messy, rebellious, and resentful – we were worth dying for. The grace of God is an unusual thing. We don’t deserve it. We can’t earn it. A lot of times we don’t even recognize it and there are certainly times when we forget to extend grace to others. But through Jesus Christ, God gives us His grace freely and because of the love of Christ we have hope for the future. That is something to celebrate.
            And yet we still want to be mindful of how dependent on God’s grace we really are. We can do nothing apart from our Lord and Savior.


[1]               Baum, L. Frank The Land of Oz (Octopus Books Limited: Great Britain, 1979) pgs. 378-9.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that part of the movie so well and have been on many baloon rides because of it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete